Los Angeles County Supervisor Don Knabe has announced that the free Marina del Rey Summer Concert Series will return in July with classical concerts on alternating Thursdays and pop and jazz artists every other Saturday at the waterside Burton W. Chace Park.
The 75-member Marina del Rey Summer Symphony will start things off July 7 with conductor Frank Fetta and finalists from the Loren L. Zachary National Vocal competition presenting "A Night at the Opera" with various arias. The host of the classical series will be radio personality Rich Capparela of KUSC-Classical FM 91.5.
The pop shows will feature Tito Puente Jr. performing Afro-Cuban rhythms in a tribute to his late father, percussion and Latin jazz legend Tito Puente. Other performers will include Aimee Mann and Frankie Avalon.
“The county is pleased to announce the return of the incredibly popular summer concert series to Marina del Rey,” Knabe said in a statement. “Through the generous support of our partners, we invite residents from across the county to enjoy world-class music in a beautiful waterside setting.”
Hornblower Café in Burton Chace Park will be open for sunset dining on concert nights with chairs available for rent at the concert site for a minimal fee.
Concertgoers can take the WaterBus from seven locations in the marina directly to and from the concert site, or catch the land-based Beach Shuttle, which will operate with special hours to and from Burton Chace Park on concert nights. Parking is available at county lots No. 4 and No. 77 on Mindanao Way, or lot No. 5 on Bali Way.
Sponsors of the Marina del Rey Summer Concerts include: The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors; The Department of Beaches and Harbors; Yamaha Pianos; The Ritz-Carlton Marina del Rey; and KUSC.
Here is the lineup of performances:
- July 7: The 75-member Marina del Rey Summer Symphony, conducted by Frank Fetta with finalists from the famed Loren L. Zachary National Vocal Competition, presents “A Night at the Opera” with various arias.
- July 21: Naoko Takada plays marimba along with the Marina del Rey Summer Symphony with a medley of songs written by composers Gershwin, Hansen, Puts and Grofe.
- Aug. 4: Lindsay Deutsch appears as violin soloist with Maestro Fetta and the Orchestra performing Bernstein and Korngold selections.
- Aug. 18: Maestro Fetta welcomes back Claire Huangci with her stunning renditions of Ravel, Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev favorites.
- July 16: Oleta Adams in her debut performance at Burton Chace Park.
- July 30: Tito Puente Jr. brings his passionate Afro-Cuban rhythms to the stage in a tribute to his father.
- Aug. 13: Singer/songwriter Aimee Mann plays her hit songs on acoustic guitar.
- Aug. 27: Actor and recording artist Frankie Avalon sings his classic hits.