.

Clothes Next to Water Heater Caused Apartment Fire

Neighbors chipped in to help contain the fire before emergency crews arrived.

Rags and clothes by a water heater caused the blaze that burned part of an apartment building in Marina del Rey on Sunday, according to the owner of the unit.

The fire was reported at 7:34 p.m. on Sunday at 13229 Fiji Way, according to Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

Thirty-nine firefighters and 12 emergency vehicles were on the scene, and the fire was confined in about 15 minutes. The numerous firefighters were necessary as flames could have quickly spread throughout the units, and a helicopter circled overhead to report updates on the potential spread of the fire.

Richard Reece, president of the Villa Marina homeowner’s council, said that many neighbors contained the fire using garden hoses before emergency crews arrived and extinguished it.

City News Service contributed to this report.

 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »