Registration for the Los Angeles Herbalife Triathlon began on Thursday for the race that will take place on Oct. 13.
The event, now in its 14th year, began in 2000 and is comprised of amateur and professional athletes from 35 states and 11 countries. Early registrants will receive an entry into a drawing for a free VIP upgrade.
The VIP package includes an invitation to the Herbalife pre-race party, a custom Herbalife jersey, a parking pass, two shuttle tickets and other gifts.
Competitors can choose between two distances – an “Olympic” distance consisting of a .9-mile swim, a 24-mile cycle and a 6.2-mile run and a “Sprint” distance of a .4-mile swim, 20-mile cycle and a 3.1-mile run. There will also be a 24-mile bike only segment, 3-person relay teams and a 5k race downtown.
The race begins at Venice Beach and ends at L.A. Live in downtown Los Angeles.
In 2012, seven Seven Marina del Rey residents successfully completed the course.
The following Marina del Rey residents completed the race.
- Rose Hajjar, 53, in 2:53:58, placing 312th.
- Boomer Titan, 52, in 3:55:57, placing 639th.
- Jonathan Hippensteel, 25, in 2:25:34, placing 96th.
- Brian Bradley, 31, in 3:57:04, placing 640th.
- Antony Hauter, 40, in 2:18:24, placing 75th.
- Alexandra Thomas, 30, in 3:15:16, placing 490th.
- Tatiana Espinosa, 23, in 2:30:55, placing n/a.
To learn more about the race and to register, visit latriathlon.com